Spinach has been the most talked-about salad green in the world since almost the 14th century until Kale gained its popularity and they both joined the march of healthy and clean eating.
Believed to have originated in Ancient Persia, Spinach has traveled the world impressing us with its versatility and immense health benefits and has managed different and disguised ways to be a part of our healthy daily meal plan.
In the praise of this mighty green, a cup of spinach intake can boost the daily nutrient capacity in terms of iron, manganese, magnesium, calcium, folate, vitamin C, E, K, A, B1, B12, B6, potassium, fiber, and the list is honestly endless. No wonder why Popeye always flaunted his spinach nurtured muscles? It makes me wonder if he was a vegan too. 😀
I also basically love mushrooms. I know it doesn’t have any particular appealing taste of its own, but all mushroom lovers have no biases when it comes to including this as an ingredient in food preparations. So much so that, we start to consider this as a vegetable in spite of it belonging to the fungi kingdom.
But the key is to get healthy nutrition from as many sustainable and plant-derived resources right? Well, then as per many recent studies, mushrooms are in the game. Woohoo! Not only do they decrease the risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, they also promote a healthy complexion and hair along with increased overall energy.
Okay, so coming back to this super-tempting spinach recipe, folded in with mushrooms and some sweet yellow corns for the sake of my fetish, this crescent rolls recipe has turned out to be my ‘to-go’ as a quick option when it comes to my list of vegan snack recipes or even as an appetizer. 🙂
You will need:
- One crescent roll (I use the Pillsbury one as it is vegan)
- 2 cups of washed and chopped spinach
- some washed and chopped up Baby Bella mushrooms
- Approximately 5-7 tbsps of Tofutti cream cheese. You can find many other vegan brands too that market amazing cream cheese and sour cream.
- I used 3 tbsps of Tofutti sour cream
- 1 tsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of frozen yellow sweet corn (thawed)
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds and
- 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs
- some oil to spray for baking
- Set your oven to preheat at 400 F or 200 C
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and the sour cream and mix them well.
- To that add the chopped spinach, the onion-garlic powder, and the seasoning, gradually folding in the chopped mushrooms and the sweet corn.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil and spray it with some cooking oil of your choice.
- Now it time to set the crescent rolls. 😀 Carefully open the outer package as instructed on the label and gently separate the triangle pieces of the rolls as per the tear markings made on them.
- place them on the baking sheet, add a scoop of the mixture and fold the rolls starting from the narrow side inside, simply just like a wrap. Trust me, you don’t need to be a pro at this. I simply followed my gut with some caution. 😛
- Once all the rolls are set and done, sprinkle them with some sesame seeds and bread crumbs for a crispy surface.
- And finally, let them bake for 18 minutes in the preheated oven and watch them rise and turn golden.
And serve hot. Oh! But be sure not to bite right away. I know temptations are so hard to resist, right? 🙂
P.S: ♥ The inspiration for this recipe was taken from here and there are many more that you could check out. 🙂 I’ve tweaked some minor changes in my crescent rolls here to satisfy my foodie soul though. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did along with my family. ♥