Pinwheel recipes are things that I have seen on Pinterest a number of times but never had given them a try until I had a dinner at our place and treasure these ‘time to save’ easy recipes for such crucial events.
And there are still so many of them to try. I feel I can pretty much put in any fantastic combinations and cut them into Pinwheels and they would be eaten up with pleasure in no time at all.
With my experiment with Crescent rolls, I have turned out to be a fan of the Spinach and Cream Cheese, health and comfort combo and never hesitate to add some mushrooms and more cheese to enhance the flavors and also because of my love for mushrooms. 😀
And without waiting for any longer, here is my inspired recipe ↓
- 2 cups of chopped baby spinach. You can blanch it if you wish so, I, however, like it raw to retain some of its crunch. 🙂
- 1/2 cup of vegan cream cheese. I use the Trader’s Joe brand.
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- Vegan mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese
- Crescent Dough roll or a Pie crust sheet whichever is available to you
- Vegan butter and finely minced garlic
- Garlic powder
- Italian Pizza Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 C.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator completely before rolling it out.
- In a mixing bowl, add the spinach, the softened cream cheese, mushrooms and to that add a tsp of garlic powder, salt, and pepper for seasoning as per your taste.
- Dust your board with some flour and carefully open the dough sheet as instructed on the cover.
- Roll the dough out on the board and sprinkle some cheese as the base layer.
- Add and spread uniformly the spinach, mushroom and cream cheese mixture on top.
- Carefully start rolling from one end to form a log like a roll.
- With a knife, mark your dimensions for the Pinwheels and allow it to chill further in the refrigerator so that the pinwheels don’t fall apart when sliced.
- Take some melted vegan butter mixture with minced garlic and Italian oregano seasoning and brush it on top. I use this in place of the regular egg wash thing and I love the subtle garlic flavor that gets onto the Pinwheels. 😀
- Carefully slice the “log” and place them on an oil sprayed parchment paper.
- Set them to bake in the oven for the next 18-20 mins and watch them sizzle from the glass. So exciting!!
- Allow them to cool for a few minutes and serve them however and whichever dip your heart and tummy desires. ♥
♥♣ Enjoy ♣♥