The Easiest Chocolate Sponge Cake Ever!
At times going back to basics are the most comforting things you can do for yourself. One of them is baking a simple chocolate sponge cake.
Over the last few months, I have hardly baked, which is very unusual for me (if you know me). The monotony of the COVID routine, trying to figure out a favorable and sustainable schedule, and some laidbackness just made me forget about baking my all-time favorite chocolate sponge cake.
However, yesterday I had this long-awaited opportunity to meet two of my very dear friends, and nothing could have been better than catching up on some gossip over a classic chocolate sponge cake.
This vegan chocolate cake requires very minimum ingredients and effort and is one of my to-go cakes. It is excellent as a sponge cake and also works as a perfect base if you want to get a little fancier and feel like adding some decadent chocolate frosting or a smooth ganache. Also, since this Vegan sponge cake has none of the heavy ingredients such as cream, butter, dairy, or eggs, it is unbelievable light and, in my words, absolutely guilt-free.
If you have some of the basic pantry ingredients like flour, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, baking soda, baking powder, non-dairy milk, and vinegar (yes, that’s right) stocked up, then you are all set to make for yourself this easy, spongy vegan chocolate cake.
Vegan Chocolate Sponge Cake for an 8 inch Cake Pan
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup refined/brown sugar ( I don’t like my cake to be too sweet, so this measurement is perfect for me. If you’d like, you can add another 4 tbsps of sugar to make it sweeter.)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flax seed powder + 3 tbsp warm water (Optional)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 F or 180 C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add and mix all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the liquid ingredients and then pour this mixture to the dry ingredient bowl.
- Using a spatula or a hand mixer, prepare a smooth batter and pour it into a greased 8″ inch round cake pan.
- Now pop the cake pan in the oven for 30-35 mins, till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Tip: Tap the pan gently on your countertop before placing the cake pan in the oven. Doing this will remove any bubbles from the batter and let the cake rise uniformly.
That’s it. Now all you need to do is be patient enough to allow the cake to cool down before you cut a slice that you have been so eagerly waiting. 🙂
This basic vegan chocolate sponge cake is great just as it is, with coffee over a chit-chat, warmed up with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or with some rich chocolate frosting, whatever your heart pleases.
Enjoyed the recipe?
Did you try this recipe out yet? If you have and you loved it as much as I did, please drop in a comment, share and help spread the love by sharing a picture on Instagram and tagging me @frommyvegandiary.