The cold strong breeze has struck and the chill has set in. Admist all of this, what strikes me most is wanting to spend fewer hours in the kitchen and prepare a meal that is warm, delicious and of course a healthy one.
This creamy homemade tomato soup is my Mother’s recipe. I fondly remember her making this during the winter holidays along with some croutons that I used to call as bread crumbs and a spoonful of butter floating valiantly in the off-white ceramic soup bowls. We all were such a huge fan of her winter break tomato soup that no other could satisfy us more.
With some warm nostalgia and for the love of her recipe here is the ingredient list:
- 4-5 tomatoes
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small cinnamon stick broken down into pieces.
- 2 tsp of cornstarch
- salt, pepper and sugar to taste
- some water
- 1 tbsp full of coconut cream(optional)
- some croutons and vegan butter/ grated cheese for garnish
- Poke the tomatoes with a fork and put them to boil with some salt for 20-25 mins on medium heat.
- Once soft and mushy, drain the excess water and allow them to cool. Carefully remove the peel and mash them roughly with a fork and keep aside.
- In a vessel, heat some oil and add the cinnamon stick pieces and the garlic cloves and fry them not turning the garlic brown.
- To this add the freshly prepared tomato puree, some salt, sugar and freshly ground pepper and cover the lid. Let the aroma of the garlic and the cinnamon infuse with the tomato puree.
- Keep stirring the mixture intermittently until all the pieces of the tomatoes have blended well.
- Now add the cornstarch and water mixture and some more water and mix well. Boil until the soup has reached its desired consistency.
- Check the seasoning and add some sugar to beat the sourness. Sprinkle with some freshly ground pepper.
- Add a tbsp of coconut cream to enrich the taste.
- Your soup is now ready to serve topped with some croutons and vegan butter/ grated vegan cheese.
I hope you enjoy my all time favorite mother’s recipe too. 🙂 ♥